Thursday 29 January 2009

What must be done THIS time?

NOW towards the future.

This project involves three choices, I have read through them all and while I have already decided upon my answer I would like to talk about why I didn't choose the others, I shall be talking about all three paths.

1. Game Design - "chop - shop"

The idea was to create four different models of a garage where stolen cars would be tweaked and fixed, there had to be a detail interior and three different exteriors ranging from high to low amounts of polygons. The initial problem with this idea was the fact that I already just completed a environment project. I personally am interested in improving what I could do from last time but without learning different skills, this might be all what I could do. I generally like computer games but it's not my main direction in where I want to go, though I'm happy to start there.

The project itself was fine, but I wanted to at least try something different to improve my overall techniques and to learn where my department is in. This idea was originally on hold, since I might have come back to deciding upon this. But this was not chosen upon the statement previously, I did not want to repeat this lesson so early.

2. Animation - Five second clips

The Idea behind this project is to create six different ideas of five second clips to be shown for the Nation gallery Publication, by any method of creating identity for the gallery itself. At first, I sparked with ideas of what could be done with this; quite the inspirational sign. But when I visited the website of the gallery:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

It felt that it wasn't for me. If this was a project ordered to be done then it wouldn't validate as an option, it would be compulsory. I would be fine about working on it, but I know I'm not capable for doing this quality of work at this stage. To be honest I'm quite behind on the knowledge of Maya and I don't like the future of whats to come because of it. The length of 5 second doesn't seem too difficult for this project if I did decide to continue with it, but the fact that I'm uncertain if I can capture the detail and texturing feel of the paintings to be used as national gallery symbols. I wouldn't take the risk knowing that I have a choice.

3. Character Design - London Zoo

The brief involves generating (depending on groups) characters to be used for an advertisement for the London Zoo, ranging from a generic family to a Silverback Gorilla. From the first glance I already knew this was my personal favourite out of all the choices, and and as the final brief this was already decided as my chosen project. I was a bit worried when I heard most of the students in my class have chosen to this project as well, worrying over the similaraties of design and lack of originality. I also heard talks about changing the subject matter from the London Zoo to another of the capital's primary tourist attraction; I felt even with this option it was drifting too far from the brief and I was happy about choosing this as go-ahead.

None of the choices were perfect for me to accept, but I wouldn't have a choice regardless if this my job. All the choices are in my range to attempt to be complete, but by saying "attempt" I already know, before starting that things are not going to look so bright when heading into a direction that I have not tried before, especially on a program which I'm quite "poor" at right now.

More will be said, stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment