Thursday 5 March 2009

Frankly I rather have...

COLOUR!

COLOUR!

COLOUR!

COLOUR!

COLOUR!

COLOUR!

Yes this post is now about colour. Well the colour of my characters anyway. Just a short-ish post describing about the right look of the characters and why I have chosen it. ALSO FEATURED: NEW DRAWING CONTENT.

Right let's start with some of those crude yet lovable concepts:


Why are we colourless? You said there would be colours!!

Cornelius and Willie Billiams. This is a new drawing just to show the colour, as well as another look at those... characters. Now let's add some colour and make this drawing come... to life.

Please note that coming to life doesn't actually make the drawing come to life, it's just a term for the drawing being more attractive and child-friendly. Any terms or questions about why I lied would result in a full prosecution from the full force of the law. Enjoy your viewing.

COLOUR AHOY! Well this looks a lot better now (despite some fake-lighting problems).. Ok let's talk about Willie Billiams. Willie was always planned to have these colours from the start of my mind, obviously the yellow was for attention and the black for insects, but it was always chosen for another insect related reasons. The colour pattern represents a wasp/bee, not only representing the child's likeness for insects but always the speed of the Wasp/Bee itself. If I had chosen Black, Gray or brown, all neutral colours... then the character would not have stood out as much as before, thus explaining why I picked yellow as the attention seeker. I was quitwe happy using two main colours for this character so I picked Black to be used for his hair, making a sequence of DARK-LIGHT-DARK-LIGHT.

Now the Silverback. Well this one is quite easy to explain, I wanted to keep similar colours of the Gorilla without making it too dark ot similar to the Billiams Family (or in this project Willie Billiams) so I managed to change his dark gray/black skin to grayish/blue all around. The only problem with this is that the Silverback isn't as hairy in this concept, well this is pretty much the shape and colour of the Gorilla... the hair effect (hopefully) will be covered and completed when the model comes to. I would frequently used more black if it didn't make the Gorilla seem too unattractive to be used for this project.

Why am I posting about colour if these characters are not going to be textured? Well it gives you the feel of a character and how you can imagine it looking if it was completed, heck... I might even try and texture them when I'm done at the end. And who knows? if the rigging goes bad... I might even come back to texturing them at the end, but it seems unlikely... I meant the texturing seems unlikely... though the rigging would be a pain when its time.
For additional content and "what could have been" I have posted a shot of all the characters altogether. This was originally to be shown when I was showing all the charcters but was delayed so I could colour them in also, showing what they could have looked like. Colours of the other characaters may have been changed but it seems to work quite well here:


The colours are slightly all different to make every character different. I think the girl has too many colours and if she had been chosen, she would have looked slightly different.


The original Black and White. Though slightly edited in Photoshop to clear up rubbish and muck... my drawings come with a lot of muck... hench the odd lines.


Something I wanted to post. This is the drawing without the lines. reminds me of some of the animations cels I have at home, with the paint-workings shown at the back. it's quite nice to see it without the lines, though empty... you can clearly see the characters shapes also. I miss Willie Billiams with hair...

Enjoyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment