Thursday 5 March 2009

Tut tut tut...

I really have no imagination for blog titles...

ANYWAY as said a few blogs back... or blog... I will be uploading the tutorials which have helped me create the project and how they have helped me get through to my designs and how I can further increase my range of skills.... or on those "must say" lines...
Let's start by talking about last project, YES... again. The previous project from last term was my first real chance of using maya to create something, and while that JUST passed I did learnt how to find more tutorials to help me out. Previously I had only searched the internet or read outdated books about older versions of maya. THIS TIME, I've had the assistant of Digital tutors (as well as various new internet links)

Now Digital Tutors I was minorly aware of near the end of the last project, but I didn't have much time to check them out (and they are quite hard to find available). But after the holidays and fast few weeks I've managed to dig out these "more helpful" tutorials to help with this project. I admit that I didn't do as much work as planned, or a great deal over Christmas and that was my fault to blame. Other than holiday lazyness it was also the fact that it was really difficult to find these tutorials and when I managed to achieve them it eas coming to the final week and it was hardly any time to catch up at all.
Here are some screencaps of the tutorials I've managed to find. I'm still searching for more though I don't think I will get any more assistants for this project... perhaps for future references:


I just shat myself with suprise!

This was the first Digital Tutors I used to help with this project, though not the first one I've used. The First DT (Digital Tutors) was how to model a doglike demon, which I received about a year ago, so I guess I slightly knew about DT video, HOWEVER the disc containing these teachings broke and I can't ever use (or for that matter, find) it again... shame really. Could have really helped on modelling the Silverback.
This tutorial is about how to model a Cartoon Warden. While I'm not interested in the security theme with the characters I'm making, I am however interested in the body built from this. It started so well using a POLYGON cylinder from the head and stretching a NURBs sphere for the body, but when it came to the facial detail... It halted my progress. This is where I found my arch nemesis... the vertex.

The Vertex is the main cause of my delays and problems with models. If this was claymation I would sculpt the body as I please, my free will. IF this was drawing, I would erase the line and curve the shape till it's right; Now let's mix these two together so I can sculpt the body, and keep erasing the mistakes till it's right...

WRONGGGG!!!
No it's just painful and to be honest... most 3D results don't appear to be as nice as it seems, it might look good still... but once it starts to animate... the charm is broken. From this tutorial and all of the others I have found to detail the face it's always the same trick of moving the vertex's into the correct positions. While this sounds all and good it means there is very little variety when it comes to showing different ideas and character designs. it doesn't help me right now because these guys who create the tutorials are so aware of how to place these vertexs that it sounds easy coming from their words. No offence on the creators, but me and all the new comers find this mindfucking. Step by step is fine but it's not enough and observing these tutorials don't show what happens with mistakes and how to backstep your traces.
Oh well, I better stop complaining and do something before I'm lynched for moaning.
Overall the tutorial is nicely presented and the smooth sailing of the voice and video make this a very helpful tutorial. I wish I could have finished it but the vertex's have delayed my progress and is going to really make things difficult for me when it comes to my models.


Even if this tutorial doesn't cover the modelling I need help with... just look at those textures!

Another of the Digital tutors modelling videos. This was quite similar to the previous Warden tutoiral from above, but for my advantage it also shows how to UV texture and render withe correct settings. While texturing isn't important for this project it IS going to help me for future causes. HOWEVER the rending settings is just gold, and a real contribute to make sure the final models look great.
Would you believe it? Vertex's was not the only hold up on this video, but also the fact that my Maya version was oudated... OUTDATED!
Knowing from the history of maya versions the only differences include interface changes and adding new tools. My current version is Maya 8.5, this requires Maya 9. So what's the problem? PREVIEW SMOOTHING is the problem. When it starts by modelling the Waitress's face it require the "preview smoothing" tool to make it easier to move the vertex's around into the correct place. While this sounds all heavenly to my nemesis cause I can't get VERSION 9 anywhere... and I have to deal with the current version. Problem is... a lot of the vertex problem solves are shown in the preview smoothing... so even it I copied the same events or learnt from the tutorial did WITHOUT the preview... it wouldn't work. The vertex's are doubled and different positioned in the preview compared to normal modelling. So this video, while nice, it is dissapointing for my cause...


Attempted Tutorial Model. I wish I could finish that face...


Rave Warden.

Ah here we go. Rigging. I've already been told of the evilness of rigging and when it comes to I will be losing my mind over it. Sorry vertex, you're oldschool.
However watching this tutorial while it is shown as difficult, nothing seems to be stopping me from learning unlike the vertex's in modelling. It' just about moving the bones of the character into the right place and trial and error. So I will always been finding some new out and keep walking. However modelling to me, is DURR HURR break!
So another worthy Digital Tutors tutorial. My final models (and rigged) won't be advanced,. it will kept basic. But knowing 3D + basic = poor is common I hope NOT to head into this direction, and at least make something look good about it, so it won't be condemned. Speaking of which...


Seriously... what the hell is that thing?

I also found this tutorial on the internet which is a downloadable open sourced model of a character rigged. While it might also help my modelling skills it also shows how the rigs work and how I could change it to my needs. Obviously I'm not using or borrowing the file, but I am learning from it. Text and tutorials are all great but open source can make all the different from a mistake to completion.


In fact... keep the shirt on.

Right this was quite an interesting find from simplymaya.com
It was a tutorial on how to model and place clothes on a body. But this concerns me for this project also. Willie Billiams the insect boy wears a shirt. But I'm uneven if to make the shirt a seperate model and to placed upon him like this tutorial, OR make the shirt part of the body model, so when it comes to rigging it will be easier to move unlike the loose model which will be a pain to get right...(though if successfully, grand and awe awaits). This was a nice find though it may not apply to the final model if Billiams, the insect boy.


It's cool right? I'm a genius which this "next-gen" character, oh boy I'm original!

Wha... another Digital Tutors? Sheez...

This one will be used for additional content. I've planned to use Zbrush to add extra detail on Cornelius, the Silverback Gorilla and Willie Billiams, the insect boy. The task of this project is to make the models look like claymation and the only logicaly solution to this is to show marks such as thumbprints and twists over the model, to make it seem "less perfection" THANK YOU MAYA. Problem is, I don't know how to use Zbrush and this tutorial will show me how. Once (hopefully) if the models are done, I will be creating scratches and bump marks to show material within the model. Zbrush was chosen as I have access to the program, unlike Mudbox which I don't have any contact with the system.


Stop looking at this text.

This might not bne applied, but If I wanted the eyes (mainly Billiams) to stand out further I would add more detail and reflectivity to further improve the overall result of the character. Though this is highly additional and may not be used at all.

Overall the tutorials are packed with tricks and advice, though maybe a couple steps ahead of me. I just need to help getting off the ground, a boost and once then this is all I need. I need build something... quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment